It looks like this wall was painted on two occasions but only one ghost sign can still be read:
The forge of William Maides, a famous blacksmith, once stood across the road from this sign. The guide published by the Haslemere Society and the Haslemere Visitor and Local Information Centre in which this is mentioned does not provide any date but the name appears in an article of The Surrey Advertiser published in 1864 about a meeting that took place at Haslemere Town Hall. Was it the same William Maides though? As it was relatively common to give the first name of the father to the first male child, it is not possible to be sure. In any case, since the sign refers to an ironmonger rather than a blacksmith, it may be that this particular business was started by a heir of the famous blacksmith rather than by William Maides himself. Or maybe it operated in conjunction with the forge?
Location: Lower Street, Haslemere, Surrey / Picture taken on: 30/08/2010