While some pubs of the seaside town of Exmouth in Devon offer locally brewed beers and ciders, these ales came from Glasgow, hundreds of miles away. The origins of the Wellpark Brewery go back to 1740, when Hugh and Robert Tennent opened a brewery at Drygate Bridge in Glasgow. Five decades later, as demand for their souts and ales increased, the Tennents bought William McLehose's brewery and the land surrounding it to build a larger brewery. The site was then renamed Wellpark. For more information about the Wellpark Brewery, click here.
The quality of the writing on this ghost sign is quite remarkable and it is nicely complemented by the floral decoration on the bottom right corner. To appreciate these, click on the pictures below to see an enlarged version.
Location: Tower Street, Exmouth, Devon ' Pictures taken in April 2012